Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Journeys Book I - Dedicated to Memory of my Mother.

This Book is Dedicated to the Memory
Of my Mother, Floy,
Who passed away during its writing.




Oh, flying time go backwards, backwards indeed
Make me a child again today.
Mother, come back from the land of peace,
Press me to your heart as in the olden days.
Kiss the creases from my forehead with ease;
Straighten my hair, prematurely gray.
Wait for me dozing, my kind little sheep;
Rock me Mother, oh rock me to sleep.

Oh, years go backwards, steer the flight again!
Tears and sadness, I have enough,
Tears and sadness instead of peace and luck;
Take them and give back to me my youth.
Tired I am now with loving glow
To sacrifice further my spiritual possessions,
Tired to sow for others to reap;
Rock me, Mother, rock me to sleep.


Taken from a poem by an unknown author, published in a Houston, Texas newspaper, late 1800s, in German. (Translated by Gudrun Sloan, 1996)

I did not write this poem, and I have no idea who did.  I'm told this a translation from German.  The translator was an employee of NASA in Houston, Texas during the 1990s.  I was informed of this and given a copy by my cousin Jo Beth Decker, who is also a descendant of the Hinrichsens and Fesers, German immigrants to Houston in the 19th Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment