Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Reflections on Snow

Snow...I've lived in places that get a lot of it.  Like Ashton, Idaho--where about four feet on the level was an average winter.  Michigan, where lake effect could dump a couple of feet in a couple of hours.  And I will admit I never liked driving in it, especially after I slid off Montana Highway 37 one day between Rexford and Eureka.

But now, I find myself wishing for it. No, I'm not a skier, though there has been some cross-country skiing in the past.  Maybe it's because I'm retired...

I have two theories on this.  My current one is I'm reverting to my childhood.  I grew up in southern Arkansas (until I turned 11).  I never say snow until I was past five years old.  It was amazing!  I remember running out to touch and being surprised that it was cold.  Maybe I was expecting that cottony stuff they put in the store windows to look like snow.

It never snowed at Christmas in Arkansas, but my two younger brothers and I always secretly wished for it.  Dad helped this along by playing his old 78-rpm Bing Crosby record every Christmas Eve.  It was "White Christmas" of course!

When we moved to northern Illinois in 1963, I had my first actual white Christmas, and the house we were renting even had some old sleds in the garage.  What fun we had!  I guess this is my current state of mind--looking for ways to find joy in life, as the years fly past me.  Being back in Montana and seeing the snow-covered mountains is wonderful.  And I am thankful for the old memories, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment