Thursday, November 8, 2018

CHANGE

The world is like a river flowing:
   permanently changing,
   forever running,
   building its own land.

And in the same way,
   changes creep into me, unfelt
   whirling 'round my feet and head in eddies.

So my soul:
   longs for where I've been,
   craves where I am going.

But it can only be here--in the now.

Why can't I be like the river?
   at its source--trickling from the deep,
         dim in-parts of earth,
   at its mouth--wandering slowly, at ease,
         before losing itself
         in the wholeness of the sea,
And everywhere in between?

                         M.F. Erler, 1971


The answer to my soul's question is that only God can see the entire river of each of our lives, from birth to death.  It's hard to fathom someone who can see beyond the limitations of Time.  Maybe that's why I'm so fascinated with time-travel.  And stories of my ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment