Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Summer Flies

So here we are in the deep freeze and according to the calendar there's still a month of autumn left.  But we all know (or should remind ourselves) that in these northern climes four four seasons are June, July, August and Winter!  So I have decided to post a poem I wrote about summer about 40 + years ago.
SUMMER FLIGHT

          It only happened once –
                             In a warm summer,
                   A new place where I’d always dreamed of being:
                             With sky and stars
                             Mountains and trees
                   And that glowing person
-      the embodiment of all my dreams.

                   And so, with wings of clouds
                             And sparkling sun on water,
                   I took flight toward heaven -
                             And the embodiment of all my dreams.

                   But all this faded and disappeared –
                                      As grey clouds of flatland closed in.
                             Never has it come again.

                   Perhaps that childish, dream-colored,
                                      dancing part of me
                             just continued its flight on
                                      above the mornings and the mountains—
                             For the rest of me wonders where it went.

                                                                             MFE, 1971

 



No comments:

Post a Comment