Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Musician's Point of View

Winter is already arriving in Glacier National Park, but the fall colors here in the valley are beautiful. Most of the time I avoid the news channels because they stress me out too much. Instead I want to share some musician's tidbits about national songs and anthems. Our current national anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner", is based on a poem written by Francis Scott Key, during a naval battle in The War of 1812. It was set to the tune of "Anacreon in Heaven" which was a British drinking song. We might as well have stuck to "Yankee Doodle", or perhaps "America" which is just an adaptation of "God Save the Queen."
Personally, I prefer "America the Beautiful" written by Katherine Lee Bates when she was inspired by the view from Pikes Peak. The music was written to go with it by Samuel Ward. I especially like verse 3, which is little sung:
"Oh beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life.
America! America! May God thy gold refine,
Til all success be nobleness and every gain divine."
I'm wondering if it wasn't favored as a national anthem because it was written by a woman. I do know for a fact that "God Bless America" wasn't considered seriously because Irving Berlin was Jewish. Shame on you, America!
Oh, and another reason I like "America the Beautiful" is it isn't a song born out of war, though it does give homage to those who have given their all for her, as is proved by the verse I quoted above.
Or maybe we need a new song that acknowledges the diversity of our country more. Just some food and musical facts for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment